Post Reply 
 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Club Build of the 18th Century Longboat
06-17-2015, 05:35 AM
Post: #31
RE: Club Build of the 18th Century Longboat
After last Saturday’s meeting I went home and took my longboat apart. By simply punching out the keel and bulkheads and putting them together I found that they were all about half a degree out of square. Apparently the laser does not cut them absolutely square. Good thing I used water soluble glue. I filed the notches between the keel and the bulkheads. Now I have enough movement to make them perpendicular to the keel. If you look at the photo below you’ll see that I used my Dremel tool to cut a 1/16” notch at the top center of each bulkhead. Then I inserted a strip of brass to line the bulkheads up at the top center. After studying what Larry did with his blocks of wood and came up with my own system. I took a “square” block of Birch and glued a parallel wooden rail to the base about 5/8” off the keel. Then cut a 6” tongue depressor to a width that would fit between the brass strip and the keel between the bulkheads and then glued it to the brass block. I left this sticking out on each side so that I could reverse the direction of the block as I work my way towards the stern. I move the block and tongue depressor down one bulkhead at a time clamping and gluing as I go. The tongue depressor also acts as a leveling guide for the top of each bulkhead.

   
   
   
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2015, 03:26 AM
Post: #32
RE: Club Build of the 18th Century Longboat
Wow, Greg. Yet another way to skin the cat. I did not have the problem of squareness with the bulkheads and keel that you discovered. (Maybe I missed it.) One factor may be that I bought my kit several years ago, and maybe it was cut better on that run. My drawings were "spot on" whereas several members who bought a later kit had some scaling problems that Chuck took care of for us. Good work on squaring things up!

Larry Bishop
Atlanta, GA

Completed: Nest of 3 Dories (by Midwest), 12 Ships in Bottles (SIBs)
Currently working on Club build of 18th Century Longboat (by Model Expo), Yacht America (by Scientific), Revenue Cutter (by Bluejacket)
Dry dock: 2 scratch builds, 5 more SIBs
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2015, 05:06 AM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2015 05:08 AM by gregm.)
Post: #33
RE: Club Build of the 18th Century Longboat
(08-11-2015 03:26 AM)larryb Wrote:  Wow, Greg. Yet another way to skin the cat. I did not have the problem of squareness with the bulkheads and keel that you discovered. (Maybe I missed it.) One factor may be that I bought my kit several years ago, and maybe it was cut better on that run. My drawings were "spot on" whereas several members who bought a later kit had some scaling problems that Chuck took care of for us. Good work on squaring things up!

Larry, I'm gluing the planks on with clamps one by one starting with the Garboard plank. I tacked the front end of each plank on with Titebond, put it in the food dehydrator/paint dryer for half an hour and then move on. The stern post is the last item to get glued on each plank.


Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)
                   
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 


Forum Jump:


User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)